Reference code(s): GB 0214 BLL
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Borough of Llantrisant records
Short Title: Borough of Llantrisant records
Creation date(s): 1424-1912
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.28 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Borough of Llantrisant; Llantrisant Town Trust
Administrative/Biographical history: The Borough of Llantrisant (Glamorgan) was established in c. 1246, and the first charter was granted in 1346. Prior to the Reform of Parliament Act 1832, the boroughs of Llantrisant, Cardiff, Cowbridge, Kenfig, Aberavon, Neath, Swansea, and Loughor, voted together, and sent one burgess to parliament. After 1832, Llantrisant, Cardiff and Cowbridge jointly sent one member, and continued to do so until the Representation of the People Act 1918. Llantrisant's only court was the Court Leet View of Frankpledge, meeting in May and October, responsible for making bye-laws, general orders, and the administration of the markets. The Borough's powers were gradually superseded, and under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883, Llantrisant Borough was dissolved. In 1889, Llantrisant Town Trust was established under an order of the Charity Commissioners to administer ancient borough property; to manage the common; to enrol freemen; to maintain the pump; and to improve the town.
Scope and content/abstract: Charter, 1424; records relating to the Court Leet View of Frankpledge, 1743-1819; papers concerning burgage rents, 1827-1878; papers relating to parliamentary elections, 1848-1886; miscellaneous borough papers, 1630-[c 1800]; and correspondence and minutes, 1766-1912.
Language/scripts of material: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged by type and date.
Conditions governing access: For preservation reasons, the original charter will not be produced for research and photocopies will be made available in its place.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Fair condition
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by the Borough of Llantrisant and its successors at various dates.
Related material: Further records in the Glamorgan Archives are RDLL, Llantrisant and Llantwit Fardre Rural District Council; GCC, Glamorgan County Council; and DBB 1-6, Llantrisant Town Trust.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Archives, Catalogue of records for the Borough of Llantrisant; Weinbaum, M., British Borough Charters, (Cambridge, 1943); Lewis, Dillwyn, The History of Llantrisant, (Great Britain, 1975); Soulsby, I., The Towns of Medieval Wales, (Chichester, 1983)
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003