Reference code(s): GB 0214 RDC
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff Rural District Council records
Short Title: Cardiff Rural District Council records
Creation date(s): 1862-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.9 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Cardiff Rural District Council
Administrative/Biographical history: Cardiff Rural District Council was established by the merging of Cardiff Rural Sanitary Authority, Llandaff Highway Board and Dinas Powis Highway Board, around Cardiff, Glamorgan (outisde the boundary of Cardiff Borough). Initially, it was known as the Llandaff and Dinas Powis Rural District Council, and its first meeting was held on December 29th 1894. In 1922, sections of Cardiff Borough were transferred to the rural district council, and its name was changed to Cardiff Rural District Council to reflect this. The council was at first responsible for sanitation, public health and housing. With industrial development, parts of the Rural District became urban in character, and the powers of an urban district council were conferred on it by the Local Government Board, including the authority to make bye-laws regarding the construction of new streets and buildings; naming of streets and numbering of houses; provisions of urinals, and planting of trees on highways. The council also became a Water Supply Authority, with the aim of supplying piped water to all the populated parts of the district. These powers were held until 1967. The Rural District Council also gained responsibility for highways and buildings, although road maintenance was transferred to Glamorgan County Council in 1928. From 1899, the council had authority to pass bye-laws regarding the regulation of hackney cabs and omnibuses. Cardiff Rural District Council ceased to exist in 1974, under the terms of the Local Government Act 1972. Its authority passed to the newly-established Cardiff City Council, and Vale of Glamorgan Borough Council.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Cardiff Rural District Council, 1862-1974: photographs of chairmen, 1920-1946; minutes of committees, 1894-1974; accounts, 1894-1964; bye-laws, 1903-1950; electoral posters, 1931-1937; papers pertaining to the Cardiff Local Board of Health, 1890-1922; and newspapers, 1885-1947.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged by date and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions. Some of these records are stored in an outside repository. They should be ordered at least a week in advance of an intended visit so that they can be brought into the Record Office for consultation in the search room.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Physical characteristics: Fair condition
Finding aids: A hard copy of this catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by the Cardiff Rural District Council at various dates.
Related material: Related units of description held at the Glamorgan Record Office: UC, Cardiff Poor Law Union; BC, Cardiff Borough; GCC, Glamorgan County Council; and DCC, Cardiff City Council.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains some earlier material transferred from its predecessor bodies.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Cardiff Rural District Council; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Stephens, W.B., Sources for English Local History, (Cambridge, 1981).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003