Reference code(s): GB 0214 RDGR
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council records
Short Title: Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council records
Creation date(s): 1898-1908
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council
Administrative/Biographical history: Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council was established in 1894, under the terms of the Local Government Act 1894. It was formed from that part of the Merthyr Tydfil Rural Sanitary Authority within the county of Glamorgan, and oversaw the area covered by the civil and ecclesiastical parish of Gelligaer and the detached civil parish of Rhigos (part of Ystradyfodwg ecclesiastical parish). It held responsibility for housing; sanitation; public health and water supply. Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council was abolished by an order of the Local Government Board on September 11th, 1908. Gelligaer became an Urban District Council under the same order, and responsibility for the civil parish of Rhigos was transferred to Neath Rural District Council.
Scope and content/abstract: Minutes of the Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council, 1898-1903; registers of mortgages, 1898-1921; provisional orders, 1898-1899; bye-laws, 1903; annual reports of the medical officer of health, 1901-1908; and ledgers, 1901-1903.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged by type and date.
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Record Office policy. These records are stored in an outside repository. They should be ordered at least a week in advance of an intended visit so that they can be brought into the Record Office for consultation in the search room.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: Transferred to the Glamorgan Records Office by the Gelligaer Urban District Council and the Rhymney Valley District Council at various dates.
Immediate source of acquisition: The collection was deposited by Gelligaer Urban District Council on 18 June 1959, and 21 May 1968, and by Rhymney Valley District Council on 15 August 1983.
Related material: Related material is Glamorgan Record Office, UM Merthyr Tydfil Poor Law Union; GC Glamorgan County Council; UDG Gelligaer Urban District Council. Records of Neath Rural District Council are held by the West Glamorgan Archive Service.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Gelligaer and Rhigos Rural District Council; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Saunders, E. John, The Gelligaer Story, (Cardiff, 1959).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003