Reference code(s): GB 0214 BUBLLA
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Llangynwyd Burial Board records
Short Title: Llangynwyd Burial Board records
Creation date(s): 1871-1951
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.27 cubic metres (36 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Llangynwyd Burial Board
Administrative/Biographical history: The Llangynwyd Burial Board (Glamorgan) was formally constituted in 1874, but it was not until 1883 that the Board opened a cemetery, situated in Maesteg, Glamorgan. Under the Local Government Act 1894, the extensive area covered by the Llangynwyd Burial Board was divided, for local government purposes, into Maesteg Urban District Council, Llangynwyd Middle Parish Council, and Llangynwyd Lower Parish Council; a small part also lay in Glyncorrwg Urban District Council. The Board was dissolved by the Local Government Board in November 1895, and reconstituted in June 1896, as a joint committee with representatives of each of these authorities. The Burial Board was taken over by Maesteg Urban District Council in July 1951.
Scope and content/abstract: Minutes books 1874-1886, 1904-1935; draft minutes 1871-1904; register of receipts for burial rights, fees, etc and notices to gravediggers and ministers; cash books 1883-1906, 1917-1951; registers of fees 1883-1904 and 1924-1933; grants of rights of burial 1886-1892, 1900-1921, 1933-1936, 1940-1951; Maesteg Cemetery registers of burials 1883-1943; registers of graves 1883-1919; register of purchased graves 1886-1938; register of burials for war service 1939-1944; and cemetery indexes 1883-1943.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged in chronological order.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The records passed in 1951 to Maesteg UDC and in 1974 to Ogwr District Council which transferred part of it (BUBLLA/1-7) to Glamorgan Record Office after 1974. The remaining records (BUBLLA/8-12) were transferred to Glamorgan Archives by Bridgend County Borough Council.
Immediate source of acquisition: Ogwr District Council and Bridgend County Borough Council
Related material: UDM, Maesteg Urban District Council records; DCOG Ogwr District Council records
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Llangynwyd Burial Board; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Stephens, W.B., Sources for English Local History, (Cambridge, 1981). Amended by R Morgan for Glamorgan Archives.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003, July 2011