Reference code(s): GB 0214 BUBY
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Ystradyfodwg Burial Board records
Short Title: Ystradyfodwg Burial Board records
Creation date(s): 1871-1896
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.05 cubic metres (12 volume, 4 bundles, 18 papers)
Name of creator(s): Ystradyfodwg Burial Board; Llantrisant District Burial Board; Llanwonno District Burial Board
Administrative/Biographical history: The Ystradyfodwg Burial Board (Glamorgan) was established about 1871, by the Ystradyfodwg parish vestry, and covered the parish of Ystradyfodwg, Rhondda (Glamorgan). In 1877, the Ystradyfodwg Local Board was set up, covering the parish of Ystradyfodwg, and parts of the parishes of Llantrisant and Llanwonno. Burial boards were therefore set up in December 1879, for the 'Llantrisant District' (that part of the parish of Llantrisant which lay within the Ystradyfodwg Local Board) and the `Llanwonno District' (the part of Llanwonno parish which lay within the Local Board). These two new Boards then joined with the existing Ystradyfodwg Board to form the Ystradyfodwg Joint Burial Board. The meetings of the Llantrisant District and the Llanwonno District, however, were held merely to authorise the precept of money from the rates, and the contribution of the money collected to the Joint Board. The minutes of the Ystradyfodwg Burial Board have not survived among the records in the collection, but it appears that it was at these meetings that all decisions relating to the provision and running of the cemeteries were made. Several cemeteries were provided by the Joint Board, among them Treorchy (opened 1871), Ferndale (between Maerdy and Ferndale, opened [c1875]), and Llethridd Cemetery, Trealaw (between Porth and Trealaw, opened [c1879]). Ystradyfodwg Urban District Council took over all three Burial Boards in March 1896.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Ystradyfodwg Burial Board, 1871-1896, including: minutes, Llantrisant District and Llanwonno District, 1879-1880; registers of mortgages, Ystradyfodwg District, 1871-1881, Llantrisant and Llanwonno Districts, 1881; abstracts of accounts, all districts, 1880-1896; bank pass books, all districts, 1880-1896; precepts to overseers, all districts, 1880-1896; local taxation returns and correspondence, Llantrisant District, 1882-1896; and notices of vestry meetings, Llantrisant District, 1885-1895. (Note that there are no minutes for the Ystradyfodwg Burial Board).
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: The records are arranged by district. Note: two bundles of records arranged under the Ystradyfodwg District contain material relating to all three districts.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Most items in good condition; no restrictions on production.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The records appear to have been transferred to Ystradyfodwg Urban District Council. In 1897, its name was changed to Rhondda Urban District Council.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Rhondda Urban District Council on 24 November 1949.
Related material: Related material is Glamorgan Archives, P6260-63, Llantrisant parish, Burial Board rate books, 1880, 1882, 1886; UDRC/1, Rhondda Urban District Council minutes; UDRC 40/1-11, Rhondda Urban District Council, grants of rights of burial, 1933-1945; UDRC 65/3,65/5, 65/6, 65/9, Rhondda Urban District Council, filing re cemeteries. Burial registers for Treorchy, Trealaw and Ferndale Cemeteries are held by Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council, and are kept at the cemeteries; for details of contact addresses, see Glamorgan Archives Information Sheet 3 Municipal Cemeteries (available from the Glamorgan Archives website).
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Ystradyfodwg Burial Board; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Hey, David, The Oxford Companion to Local and Family History, (Oxford, 1996); Stephens, W.B., Sources for English Local History, (Cambridge, 1981).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2003