Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP5
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Ararat Baptist Church, Whitchurch, Cardiff
Short Title: Ararat Baptist Church, Whitchurch
Creation date(s): 1793-1955
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.04 cubic metres (2 boxes, 4 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Ararat Baptist Church, Wauntreoda, Whitchurch, Cardiff.
Administrative/Biographical history: The Ararat Baptist church (Whitchurch, Glamorgan) began about 1824, as an offshoot from the Baptist church at Lisvane, but the building was not completed until [c. 1828]. It was located on a corner of Waun Treoda common, hence its familiar names "Capel y Waun" and (sometimes) "Waun Treoda"; baptisms were conducted in a pool near Cornel-y-waun farm, until the opening of a baptistry in 1879. The church appointed its first minister, John Williams, in 1828 (minister 1828-1840), and it was admitted to the East Glamorgan Baptist Association in 1828. Some early entries (from 1793) in the baptisms register, apparently made by John Williams, relate to members born in Whitchurch, Llanishen and Llandaff North, Glamorgan, and must have been extracted from the registers of another chapel, possibly Lisvane, which was established in 1782. Welsh was used exclusively in services till 1878, when they became bilingual. Increasing anglicisation led to the dropping of Welsh services in 1905, and the last Sunday School in Welsh was held in 1907. The rapid urbanisation of Whitchurch in the 19th and 20th centuries required rebuilding of the church in 1851, and again in 1915 (the present structure). The church benefited from a number of energetic ministers, notably John Williams, James Bevan (minister, 1885-1899) and Luther Jones (minister, 1919-1944).
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Ararat Baptist Church, 1793-1917, includes: register of births, 1793-1838; church meeting minutes book, (includes preparatory meetings and special church meetings), 1883-1891; church meeting minutes book, (includes special church meetings), 1907-1913; church meeting minutes book, (includes special church meetings and deacons meetings and list of collections), 1916-1917; record of preachers and theme of sermons, and miscellaneous notes, 1845-1848; receipts and disbursements, 1853-1869; copy letter book, 1910-1913; and members contributions book, 1914-1930.
Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Arranged by year and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Fair to poor condition.
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual on 29 January 1971.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Ararat Baptist Church; Ararat Baptist Church, Whitchurch, Centenary Celebration, 1824-1924, (Cardiff, 1924); Chappell, Edgar L., Old Whitchurch, The Story of a Glamorgan Parish (Cardiff, 1945); Thomas, Hilary M., Whitchurch, A Brief History, (Cardiff, 1982); Llewellyn, Titus, Lisvane Baptist Church - A Brief Historical Sketch (1882), trans. Olwen Williams (1929); Sandiford, Eric, A History of Ararat, 1824-1999, (Porth, 2000).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2003