Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP14
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Mount Carmel English Baptist Church, Caerphilly
Short Title: Mount Carmel English Baptist Church, Caerphilly, records
Creation date(s): 1924, 1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 2 Booklets
Name of creator(s): Mount Carmel English Baptist Church, Caerphilly
Administrative/Biographical history: Mount Carmel English Baptist Church was formed in 1874, and was formally established at Tynyberllan (now demolished), in Castle Street, Caerphilly, Glamorgan. The church moved to a room at the old market place on the Twyn and built their iron church on the corner of Windsor Street in 1876. The first minister, the Rev. Thomas Thomas, of Ararat Baptist Church, Wauntreoda, Whitchurch, was appointed in 1875. The initial history of the church was dogged by internal disputes until the appointments of experienced and talented ministers Rev. William Morgan (1881-1890), J. G. Hopkins (1891-1895), and his brother, A. O. Hopkins (1897-1901). The new church in Pontygwindy Road was opened in 1892. Alterations and extensions to the church had to be made in 1905-1907 and 1913 to accommodate a growing congregation.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Mount Carmel English Baptist Church, 1924-1974, consisting of:a souvenir of the jubilee celebrations, 1924 (printed); and a centenary booklet, 1974 (printed).
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Physical characteristics: Fair condition
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Information to be supplied.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Mount Carmel English Baptist Chapel; Riden, Philip, Records Sources for Local History, (London, 1987); Jenkins, J.A. & R. Edwards James, The History of Nonconformity in Cardiff, (Cardiff, 1901).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2003