ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Salem Baptist Church, Tongwynlais, records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP31

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Salem Baptist Church, Tongwynlais

Short Title: Salem Baptist Church, Tongwynlais, records

Creation date(s): 1862-1975

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.012 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): Salem Baptist Church, Tongwynlais


Administrative/Biographical history: Salem English Baptist Chapel, Tongwynlais, Glamorgan, was a daughter church of Ainon Welsh Baptist chapel, Tongwynlais. During the 1850s, there was a considerable influx of population to Tongwynlais resulting from industrial development at Pentyrch and Melingriffith, and many of the incoming population were monoglot English. Over time, some of the English Baptists expressed a desire for religious worship in their own language and a new chapel was duly opened in Queen Street (then known as Ivy Street) in 1862. The combination of two chapels using different languages under the same pastor meant that Welsh sermons were to be delivered at Ainon and English sermons in the new chapel on the Sabbath and Welsh and English sermons at three meetings on the following day. However, this situation proved untenable. In 1880, the English section complained that it was not receiving a fair share of the pastor's ministration and decided to secede from Ainon and continue as a separate church. Like its mother church, Salem's story, subsequent to its separation from Ainon was one of struggle and varying degrees of prosperity, and it closed in 1987.


Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Salem Baptist Church, 1862-1975, including: Sunday School minutes book, 1941-1953; Sunday School attendance registers, 1927-1936; Total Abstinence pledge book, 1905-1909; minute book of annual general meetings and deacons' meetings, 1955-1957; Lease and counterparts, 1862, 1899, 1901; trust deed, 1866; memorandum of appointments of new trustees, 1896, 1941; and conveyance, 1921.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged by date and type.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.

Physical characteristics: Good to fair condition

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual at various intervals.



Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records of Salem Baptist Church, Tongwynlais; Baptist Union of Great Britain and Ireland, Official Handbook of the Cardiff Assembly, 5th to 8th May, 1924, (Cardiff, 1924); Chappell, Edgar L., Old Whitchurch: The Story of a Glamorgan Parish, (Cardiff, 1945).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: November 2003

Baptists | Wales | Tongwynlais
Religious institutions | Wales | Tongwynlais
Salem Baptist Church (Tongwynlais, Wales) | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Salem Baptist Church (Tongwynlais, Wales)

Tongwynlais (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details