Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP36
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest
Short Title: Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest
Creation date(s): 1849-1999
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.024 cubic metres (2 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest
Administrative/Biographical history: Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest (Glamorgan), is the oldest English Baptist Church between Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, and the third oldest in the East Glamorgan Association. Formed on 20 November 1849, members met for worship at Gwernygerwn and Oddfellows Hall until 1851, when the church was officially opened. The church's career for the first 40 years was fragile and was served by different pastors, whose ministries were generally brief. With increased membership and the establishment of a successful Sunday school, the church took an active part in the 1904-1905 revival. During the 20th century, membership continued to grow, but at its 150th anniversary in 1999, the church had fallen to 30 members, many elderly. The chapel was built in 1851 but by 1891 it had to be entirely renovated, and in 1913 the roof had to be renewed. An organ was unveiled in 1928, dedicated to members who died during World War I.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Calvary English Baptist Chapel, 1849-1999, including minutes, 1875-1984; membership records, 1849-1959; membership stub books, 1906-1948; finance and title records regarding chapel building; records relating to the history of the chapel, 1885-1949; photographs, 1888-[c. 1940]; programme of 125th anniversary celebrations, 1974; copy of Calvary English Baptist Church, Treforest: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Christian Witness, 1849-1999, A History of the Church compiled by E.T. Jenkins, W. Evans, H. Evans, H. Weston, Paul Weston and C. Pearse, 1999.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged according to year and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Open access
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual at various dates..
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Calvary English Baptist Chapel, Trefforest; One Hundred and Fifty Years of Christian Witness, 1849-1999, a history of the church compiled by E.T. Jenkins, W. Evans, H. Evans, H. Weston, Paul Weston and C. Pearse, 1999.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: November 2003