Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP50
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Carmel English Baptist Church, Pontypridd
Short Title: Carmel English Baptist Church, Pontypridd
Creation date(s): 1929-1969
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 1 vol.
Name of creator(s): Carmel English Baptist Church (Pontypridd, Wales)
Administrative/Biographical history: By 1810, Carmel Chapel, the first Baptist chapel in Pontypridd, Glamorgan, was built, at the Mill Street end of Graigwen Hill. By 1861, the Carmel was too small for the congregation and Tabernacl Chapel was built; from 1867, the Carmel became an English-language chapel. Three chapels were built, on the same site, and the last was demolished in about 1970. The graveyard was the burial place of Evan James (1809-1875) and his son James James (1832-1902), who wrote the words and music of 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau', the Welsh national anthem. Evan James was re-interred in Ynysangharad Park, Pontypridd. The other burials were removed from the graveyard in Graigwen Road in 1979, and re-interred in Glyn Taff Crematorium, Pontypridd. Plas Carmel flats were built on the site.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Carmel English Baptist Church, Pontypridd: account book, containing income and expenditure, 1929-1969.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Single item
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The surviving register was deposited by the brother of the last treasurer of the church.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private source, 2000.
Related material: Related units of description held in the Glamorgan Record Office: MGCC, plan and schedule of graves, 1979.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Carmel English Baptist Church, Pontypridd.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: December 2003