Reference code(s): GB 0214 DBAP53
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Hengoed Baptist Chapel
Short Title: Hengoed Baptist Chapel (Ystrad Mynach, Wales)
Creation date(s): 1745-1876
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.06 cubic metres (3 vols)
Name of creator(s): Hengoed Baptist Chapel (Ystrad Mynach, Wales)
Administrative/Biographical history: The Baptist cause at Hengoed, Ystrad Mynach, Glamorgan, appears to have begun about 1650, with the assistance of the older Baptist church at Ilston. Its first chapel was opened in 1710, at Cefn Hengoed, but little is known about its early history, and what survives is largely anecdotal. T he chapel was re-built in 1829, and the growth of the Baptist cause in the area led to the establishment of several daughter chapels in the Rhymney valley and Merthyr Tydfil area, notably Bryn Miser, at Pengam, in 1832.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Hengoed Baptist Chapel, Ystrad Mynach, 1801-1876: register of births, 1801-1839; record book, containing a short history of the chapel, 1867, a register of members, 1828-1876, and balance sheets, 1861-1875; and register of burial ground, 1745-1871.
Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: Register of births, April 1801-April 1839, will not be produced if there is a facsimile available in the Copy Searchroom.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the Catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained. The burial ground register (DBAP53/3) was formerly scheduled as Hen Dy Cwrdd (DWBAP13/1).
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Hengoed Baptist Church on 16 February 1989 & 17 August 1999.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The Archives following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan , schedule for Hengoed Baptist Chapel, Gelligaer; Edmunds, Morgan, The New Hengoediana, (Merthyr Tydfil, 1910); Bassett, Tim, Bedyddwyr Cymru (Swansea, 1977). The earlier history of Hengoed is given in Hengoediana (1861) by Llewelyn Jenkins, son of John Jenkins, and a printer in Cardiff, and in The New Hengoediana (1910), by Morgan Edmunds.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: December 2003