Reference code(s): GB 0214 DCE
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff University Settlement records
Short Title: Cardiff University Settlement records
Creation date(s): 1912-1986
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.003 cubic metres (1 box, 1 booklet)
Name of creator(s): Cardiff University Settlement; B. M. Bull
Administrative/Biographical history: The Cardiff University Settlement was established in 1901, at 50-52 Portmanoor Road, Splott, Cardiff, Glamorgan, by a group of academic staff at the University College, Cardiff, led by Professor Ronald Burrows (Professor of Greek). They were concerned that the University College should seek to improve social conditions in the poorer areas of Cardiff by active social work in the community. The objective of the University Settlement was to provide educational and recreational facilities not normally available to the poorer members of the community. The University Settlement was organised into four separate clubs: the Lads', Girls', Womens' and Mens' clubs. The combined membership of the clubs reached 250 by 1903. In 1904, the University Settlement formed itself into a limited company called University Settlement in Cardiff, and built a University Settlement Hall, in Walker Road, Splott, which included classrooms, gymnasium, recreational rooms fitted out for billiards and air rifles, opened in December 1904. Mr Edward Lewis, Mrs Lewis and Mrs Hughes were active in the organisation. The University Settlement remained active until the outbreak of the First World War, when many of the members of the Lads' and Mens' clubs joined the armed services. Following the requisitioning of the club premises for a military hospital, the activity of the University Settlement largely ceased. After the War it proved impossible to resume the University Settlement, as many members had dispersed. The University Settlement Hall was sold in 1922, to become St Illtyd's College, a Roman Catholic school, and the University Settlement company was formally wound up in 1924.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Cardiff University Settlement, 1912-1921: letters and photographs from members of the settlement, 1912, 1914-1918 and 1921; historical research, 1965-1986, including history of the University Settlement in Cardiff, by Miss B. M. Bull, 1965, and notes added by Miss Bull, 1986.
Language/scripts of material: Eng
System of arrangement: Arranged as follows: letters addressed to Edward Lewis, Mrs Lewis and Mrs Hughes; miscellaneous material; wartime photographs of University Settlement lads; and publications and notes on the University Settlement.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual on 19 February 1987.
Publication note: The history written by Miss Bull was used extensively for Philip Gale, 'The Cardiff University Settlement', Annual Report of Glamorgan Archives, 1987.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains research notes and a publication post-dating the University Settlement.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Cardiff University Settlement; Bull, B. M., The University Settlement in Cardiff, (Cardiff, 1965).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of descriptions: December 2003