ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Cowbridge Grammar School records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DCOW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Cowbridge Grammar School records

Short Title: Cowbridge Grammar School records

Creation date(s): 1618-1984

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.24 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Cowbridge Grammar School


Administrative/Biographical history: The Free School, known originally as the Cowbridge Grammar School, Cowbridge, Glamorgan, was founded in 1608, and moved to its present site in 1617. The patron of the school in its early days was Sir John Stradling (1563-1637). In 1665, the school was permanently endowed by Sir Leoline Jenkins (?1625-85), Secretary of State in the reign of Charles II (1630-85). From this date until 1919, the school was governed by the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford. The school was notable for its classical tuition, and many prominent men of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were educated there in early life. In the 17th century, it was the only school offering secondary education in the county of Glamorgan. The main portion of the school house was constructed between 1847-1852, on the site of the earlier buildings, and around 1890, under the headmastership of Rev. W. F. Evans, a further building was added. From 1919, the school was governed by a joint body composed of representatives of Jesus College and the Glamorgan Education Authority. Cowbridge Grammar School became a comprehensive school in September 1973.


Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Cowbridge Grammar School, 1618-1972, including a copy of Delectus Epigram Themat - Latin, Greek and Hebrew Verses, [mainly 18th century] [the Golden Book]; letter from Sir Leoline Jenkins at Nijmegen, Netherlands, to Sir John Bulstrode, ambassador at the Court of Brussels, 1676; roll call sheets and general conduct reports, 1890-1918; register of scholars, 1862-1915; list of senior prefects, 1919-1956; photographs of school groups and individuals, [c. 1880]-1946; Latin orations and records relating to speeches made on speech days, 1618-1956; correspondence and accounts with sculptors, builders and others concerning the provision of a war memorial, 1919-1920; roll of war service, 1914-1919; school magazines, 1894-1967; papers relating to the Board/Ministry of Education (Welsh Department); inspection reports, 1920, 1929, 1947; Board of Education memoranda and circulars concerning curricula, teaching methods, staffing etc., 1910-1933; Cowbridge Grammar School rules for payment, 1924, 1934; photograph of South Gate and Headmaster's House, [c. 1880]; brief history of school endowments, 1896; copy of The Life of God in the Soul of Man, by Gilbert Bishop of Sarum, 1691; Statutes of Jesus College, Oxford, Amended to Oct. 1903.


Language/scripts of material: English, Latin, Greek and Hebrew

System of arrangement: Arranged as follows: papers relating to Sir Leoline Jenkins; papers relating to scholars and masters; school prayers; speech days and prize days; war service and war memorials; school magazines; 350th anniversary celebrations; visit of the Archbishop Of Wales, 1921; education/administration; miscellanea; printed books; school exercise books; and notes on Cowbridge Grammar School pupils, 1600-1900.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are possible.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private source at various dates; additional deposit by the headteacher of Cowbridge Comprehensive School in 2010


Publication note: Davies, Iolo, A Certaine Schoole: A History of Cowbridge Grammar School (Cowbridge, 1967).


Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for Cowbridge Grammer School; Davies, Iolo, A Certaine Schoole: A History of Cowbridge Grammer School, (Cowbridge, 1967); Hopkin, L.J., Old Cowbridge (Cardiff, 1922); Richards, John, The Cowbridge Story (Bridgend, 1956); Cobb, Peter, At Cowbridge Grammar School 1949-1966, Cowbridge Record Society (Cowbridge 2001).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: August 2012

Cowbridge Grammar School | Archives
Education | Wales | Cowbridge
Schools | Wales | Glamorgan

Personal names
Evans , William Franklen , 1854-1929
Jenkins , Leoline , 1623-1685 , Sir
Stradling , John , 1563-1637 , Sir

Corporate names
Cowbridge Grammar School

Cowbridge (Wales)
Glamorgan (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details