Reference code(s): GB 0214 DECONG12
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Ivor English Congregational Church, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
Short Title: Ivor English Congregational Church, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
Creation date(s): 1862-1997
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (30 volumes, 8 bundles, 3 booklets, 1 binder, 6 colour photographs, 1 illustrated folding card, 3 fold
Name of creator(s): Ivor English Congregational Church; Ivor United Reformed Church
Administrative/Biographical history: Ivor English Congregational Church, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, was formed in 1859. 'A sketch of the Early History' is contained in the first minutes book, and in Ivor English Congregational Church, Dowlais 1960 (Aberdare, 1960). A group was formed in the winter of 1859-1860 to provide for English Independents in Dowlais and Merthyr Tydfil. A special fund was set up, and three cottages were purchased from the Dowlais Iron Co., in Ivor Street, with ground lease for 99 years. Contributions from the local Welsh Independent churches and individuals in Merthyr enabled the establishment of a building committee. The building stone was laid on 22 May 1860, the chapel opened in March 1861. Fortunes increased for a short period but congregations fell away sharply in 1938 and generally declined thereafter despite improvements to church accommodation. Major renovation work has been undertaken c1992-2002 and in 2012 the chapel continues to have an active congregation. The church is a affiliated to the Congregational Federation in Wales.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Ivor English Congregational Church, 1862-1997, including minutes of monthly church meetings, 1935-1980; minutes of deacons' meetings, 1928-1968; treasurer's accounts, 1879-1918; financial reports and statements, 1887-1929; collections, statements of accounts and miscellaneous, 1917-1975; receipts and expenditure, 1949-1986; collections ledgers, 1978-1997; Sunday School teachers attendances and summary register, 1901-1933; record of the transfers of communicants from Ivor Church to other churches, 1924-[c. 1941]; miscellaneous financial and administrative papers containing receipts, cheque books, related correspondence, printed epherma relating to visits to Union meetings, 1979-1990; illustrated history of Ivor Congregational Church, Dowlais, 1860-1960, 1960; and photographs of Ivor Congregational Church, [c. 1980]-[c. 1990].
Language/scripts of material: English (one Welsh item).
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: reports and minutes; church treasurers' records; miscellaneous financial and other papers; and miscellaneous papers.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Finding aids: A full version of the Catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual at various intervals.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Archives, Catalogue for the records of the Ivor English Congregational Church, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2004, updated March 2012.