Reference code(s): GB 0214 DECONG14
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Wood Street Congregational Church, Cardiff
Short Title: Wood Street Congregational Church, Cardiff
Creation date(s): 1963
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 1 folder
Name of creator(s): Wood Street Congregational Church, Cardiff.
Administrative/Biographical history: Services at the Wood Street Congregational Church, Cardiff, Glamorgan, were begun by William Watkiss (d 1892) in the Temperance Hall, at the corner of Wood Street and Havelock Street, in 1868. The building was later purchased by the Wood Street Congregationalists. After renovations and extensions, it became the largest Congregational Church in south Wales, but remained heavily indebted until 1918. An adjoining building, Rapers Hotel, was acquired in c. 1917 by the Cardiff and District Congregational Board, and part was used by Wood Street Church as a Sunday School. In 1963, the Church considered but rejected a move to Westgate Street, Cardiff. The Wood Street church was demolished later in the 1960s, to make way for re-development.
Scope and content/abstract: The records of the Wood Street Congregational Church (United Reformed Church), Cardiff, 1963, consisting of a report on intended removal of the church to Westgate Street, Cardiff.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Single item
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Good condition
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the United Reformed Church on 23 July 2002.
Related material: Related units of description at the Glamorgan Archives: Records of St David's Presbyterian Church, Aberdare; Roath Park Presbyterian Church Cardiff; Windsor Place Presbyterian Church, Cardiff; Wood Street and Westgate Street Congregational Church (reference numbers DECONG14-17).
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Wood Street Congregational Church, Cardiff; Williamson, John, History of Congregationalism in Cardiff and District, (Cardiff, 1920); The Congregational Church, Wood Street, Cardiff, (Cardiff, 1954).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2004