Reference code(s): GB 0214 DL/DC
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Llandaff Cathedral records
Short Title: Llandaff Cathedral records
Creation date(s): 1827-1960
Level of description: Sub-fonds
Extent: 0.156 cubic metres (13 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Llandaff Cathedral; Joseph Earle Ollivant; Bishop Alfred Ollivant
Administrative/Biographical history: Llandaff Cathedral, (Glamorgan), is one of Britain's oldest cathedrals, dating from 1120, and a reputed place of worship since A.D. 560. The cathedral is the mother church of the diocese of Llandaff, and is the seat of the Bishop of Llandaff. The diocese, one of the six modern dioceses comprising the Anglican Province of the Church in Wales, covers the general area of south Wales extending from Cardiff in the east to Neath in the west. The cathedral also serves as a parish church, the dean also being the vicar of the parish of Llandaff. The cathedral was radically restored in 1882, and suffered severe damage in the Seocn World War. The cathedral has been embellished by the construction of an organ loft, and works by Jacob Epstein, Alan Durst, and John Piper. Alfred Ollivant, (1792-1882), (fellow of Trinity college, Cambridge; vice-principal of St David's College, Lampeter; regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge) was appointed bishop of Llandaff, holding the see till his death at Llandaff on 16 December 1882. He ended episcopal non-residence in Llandaff, restored the cathedral, built or restored 170 churches and improved seventy parsonage houses in the diocese. His son, Joseph Earle Ollivant, chancellor of Llandaff, collected many documents with a view to writing a cathedral and diocesan history. Robert W. Griffith, Bishop's secretary and Chapter Clerk had embarked upon a history of the cathedral but his work was unpublished at his death in 1891, and Ollivant undertook to edit this work.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Llandaff Cathedral, 1824-1960: manuscripts and notes relating to the history of the diocese and Cathedral of Llandaff, [c. 1845]-1944; chapter records, 1845-1948; documents relating to Llandaff Parish, 1858-1953; printed books pamphlets, etc, 1827-1945; manuscripts of Bishop Ollivant, 1824-1882; and newspaper cuttings and miscellaneous papers, 1879-1960.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged according to date and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Dean of Llandaff at various dates.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the Llandaff Cathedral Archive; Local Records - Their Nature and Care, Ed., Redstone, Lilian J. and Francis W. Steer (London, 1953); North F.J., The Stones of Llandaff Cathedral, (Cardiff, 1957); Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 (London, 1959).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004