Reference code(s): GB 0214 DMG
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works records
Short Title: Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works records
Creation date(s): 1770-1970
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.17 cubic metres (8 boxes,1 crate)
Name of creator(s): Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works
Administrative/Biographical history: The iron forge at Melingriffith, in Whitchurch, Cardiff, Glamorgan, was first established in the 1750s near an old water-mill. By 1760, it had attracted the attention of the Bristol firm of Reynolds, Getley & Co., Quakers, who leased it from the Lewis family, of the Van (or Y Fan), Caerphilly, Glamorgan, for 200 years, at £80 per annum, and quickly transformed it into a prosperous tinplate works, important enough to appear on Yates' map of Glamorgan, of 1799. The works managers for five generations were members of the Vaughan family, originally, from Gloucestershire, including Joseph Vaughan (1736-1796); and his brother, John Vaughan (d. 1806), who was manager at Machen forge, Gelliwastad. The grandson of Joseph, Thomas Vaughan (d. 1814), subsequently emigrated to Philadelphia, America, in 1790. At the start of the 19th century, the Melingriffith Tinplate Works passed to another Bristol Quaker family, the Harfords, who worked it in conjunction with their partners, Partridge and Blakemore. In 1879, the company became bankrupt and was forced to close. It was reopened in 1888, and in April 1939, the assets passed to Richard Thomas & Co. After the Second World War (1939-1945), the Steel Company of Wales incorporated the Melingriffith works as one of its strip mills.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of the Melingriffith Iron & Tinplate Works, 1770-1970: letters from Joseph Vaughan to Messrs Reynolds Getley & Co., 1774-1775; letters from John Vaughan to Joseph Vaughan, 1782-1784; accounts and correspondence from company, 1770-1774; general correspondence, c1770-1840; production accounts, wages accounts, stock accounts and inventories, C18-19; pictorial material, 1927, 1960, 1962, [c. 1970]; general rules of Melingriffith, [c. 1920s]; and miscellaneous documents, 1926-1970.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged according to type and date.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by various sources between 1983 and 2012
Related material: Glamorgan Archives, DX809 includes an accounts book, 1779-1780, and unlisted 18th and 19th century correspondence and accounts (2 boxes and 1 ledger). Additional records relating to the Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works are held in the Trostre collection at Carmarthenshire Archive Service.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, catalogue of records for the Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works; Chappell, Edgar L., Historic Melingriffith, (Whitchurch, 1940); Clark, David 'A Newland/Whitchurch Connection' Whitchurch News: monthly magazine of the Rectorial Benefice of Whitchurch, Cardiff October 2005
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February-July 2004, revised January 2013