Reference code(s): GB 0214 DMS
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Sully Manor records
Short Title: Sully Manor records
Creation date(s): 1754-1925
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.08 cubic metres (4 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Sir Josiah John Guest; Lord Wimborne; Lieutenant-Commander Charles E. Evans
Administrative/Biographical history: Sully manor, Sully, Glamorgan, formed part of the estates of the Stradling family of St Donats Castle, Glamorgan. After the death, in 1738, of Sir Thomas Stradling, the last male heir, the Stradling estates were partitioned by Act of Parliament in 1755, and Sully manor fell to the share of Sir John de la Fountain Tyrwhitt. The manor was held by the Tyrwhitt Drake family until 1812, when it was sold to Evan Thomas, esq. It was purchased by Sir Josiah John Guest in 1838, whose descendant, Lord Wimborne, sold it to Lieutenant-Commander Charles E. Evans, RNVR, in 1917. The property then formed part of Evans' estate, which in 1956 was established as a letting company (Evans' Estate (1956) Ltd), based in Newton Abbot, Devon.
Scope and content/abstract: The original and copy documents which form this collection have been gathered by successive owners of Sully manor to give evidence in disputes and law-suits on the following occasions: rights on the Sheeping Moor, 1842, and boundary of Sully, Cadoxton-juxta-Barry and St Andrews Major parishes, 1842; rights of lord of the manor to the foreshore, 1889; and rights of lord of the manor to the foreshore, 1925.
Language/scripts of material: English, handwritten and typescript
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Original documents to which reference is made in the lawsuits; Disputes concerning rights on the Sheeping Moors; Sully Boundary Award; copy documents, extracts, depositions, correspondence, case and opinions, concerning the right of the Lord of the Manor to the foreshore, a right involved in the dispute between Lord Wimborne and the Barry Dock and Railways Co.; Certified copies from Public Record Office of documents relating to Sully Manor (copied in 1886 and 1925); Lord Wimborne v. the Barry Dock and Railways Co.; copy documents, extracts and correspondence relating to Sully Manor and to the foreshore, evidence compiled by Wade and Son of Newport, solicitors for Commander Charles Evans, 1925. [Numbers, A numbers, and 'Bundle' numbers refer to endorsements on the documents].
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Good condition
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Assistant Secretary of Evans' Estate (1956) Ltd. on 25 October 1963.
Related material: Further papers in the Glmorgan Archives are: DXAO, Letters patent giving Sir Edward Stradling licence to lease the castle and manor of Sully; DCL1/21, 22, Survey of the manor of Sully, 1632 and draft sale catalogue; DTD3, Tyrwhitt Drake collection, rental of lordships and lands, including Sully, 1754; and DXIG, Sale catalogue, 1914.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue for the Records of Sully Manor.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004