Reference code(s): GB 0214 DNMW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: National Museum of Wales collection
Short Title: National Museum of Wales collection
Creation date(s): 1740-1985
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.03 cubic metres (1 box, c164 vols)
Name of creator(s): National Museum of Wales
Administrative/Biographical history: The National Museum of Wales was founded in 1907, the Royal Charter of Incorporation having been granted in that year by King Edward VII. The first contract for the building, in Cathays Park, Cardiff, Glamorgan, was let in 1911, and the Foundation Stone was laid in 1912 by King George V. During the First World War (1914-1917), building operations had to be entirely suspended and it was not until 1926, that the existing superstructure was completed. On its completion, the formal opening of the museum was made by the King on April 21st, 1927. In 1947, the Earl of Plymouth presented St Fagans Castle, together with its extensive grounds, to the National Museum of Wales. The estate became the home of the Welsh Folk Museum, now the National History Museum. The Museum accumulated a miscellaneous collection of historical documents relating to Cardiff and elsewhere.
Scope and content/abstract: Records received from the National Museum of Wales, 1740-1955, includes: registers of electors for borough of Merthyr Tydfil, 1861, 1863; plan of proposed extension of Cardiff Boundaries, 1900, used to show proposed Cardiff Western Sewer, 1901; Third Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers, First Battery, Oath Book, 1860-1866; Cardiff Museum and Art Gallery, reports to the Town Council for years ending, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899, and 1901; Cardiff Sympathetic Society minute book, 1812-1851; school register kept by Thomas Thomas, draper, St Fagans, showing children's names and attendances, [c. 1799]; notice stating that anyone calling Thomas Griffiths of Landore, shoemaker, by the nickname 'Twm Pap' will be prosecuted, 1837; accounts book of Kennixton Farm, Llangennith, 1774-1786; documents pertaining to Rhondda Urban District Councils' petition for a Charter of Incorporation, 1953-1955; papers relating to Colonel H. Morrey Salmon, 1982-1985; Cardiff Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition, 1881; papers relating to the visit of T.R.H. Prince and Princess of Wales to Cardiff, 1896 [King Edward VII and his Queen Alexandra of Denmark]; papers relating to the visit of H.R.H. Prince of Wales, 1919 [Edward VIII]; City of Cardiff Medical Officer of Health, printed circular and notices giving advice on preventing the spread of disease by flies, 1915; and facsimile of a 15th century brass rubbing at Newland Church, Co. Gloucestershire showing the crest of the Free Miners of the Forest of Dean, [n. d.].
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Information to be supplied.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Physical characteristics: Good to fair condition
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the National Museum of Wales at various intervals.
Existence and location of originals: Original of school register kept by Thomas Thomas can be found at the National History Museum, St Fagans, ref: MS 3180.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Many of these documents are photocopies.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for miscellaneous items received through the National Museum of Wales. Revised by M Wilcox for Glamorgan Archives.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004, December 2010