ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
National Coal Board : Whitworth Collieries Ltd.

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DNCB/21

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: National Coal Board : Whitworth Collieries Ltd.

Short Title: National Coal Board : Whitworth Collieries Ltd.

Creation date(s): 1905

Level of description: Sub-fonds

Extent: 1 booklet & 2 plans

Name of creator(s): Whitworth Collieries Ltd., Glamorgan.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Whitworth colliery was sunk about 100 or so yards to the north of Ty Trist, in Tredegar, Monmouthshire. It first produced coal in 1876. There was also a drift mine at the same location that began producing coal in 1880. From the Inspector of Mines list 1896, it appears that Whitworth Pit was owned by Tredegar Iron and Coal Co. Ltd. By 1905, it was owned by Whitworth Collieries Ltd, which also had interests in Neath, Glamorgan. In 1918 there were 223 men employed. Whitworth closed in 1921. Tredegar Comprehensive School now occupies this site.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Whitworth Collieries Ltd., 1905, consists of: a prospectus, with plan of freehold estate in Neath and Tonna, and plan of South Wales coalfield, 1905.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Physical characteristics: Booklet printed; plans lithographed.

Finding aids: A handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the National Coal Board on 18 April 1963 (accession number 1686).

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Related units of description held at the Glamorgan Record Office: DNCB/, records of the National Coal Board.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, Catalogue of records for the National Coal Board; Welsh Coal Mines website (www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/index.html), viewed 24 February 2004.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Coal mines and mining | Wales, South

Personal names

Corporate names
Great Britain | National Coal Board
Whitworth Collieries (Wales)

Places
Neath (Wales)
Tonna (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details