Reference code(s): GB 0214 DNCB/22
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: National Coal Board. Park Slip Colliery
Short Title: National Coal Board. Park Slip Colliery
Creation date(s): 1893-[c. 1950]
Level of description: Sub-fonds
Extent: 0.04 cubic metres (2 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Park Slip Colliery, Aberkenfig, Bridgend
Administrative/Biographical history: The Park Slip Colliery was owned by the Ogmore Coal and Iron Co. and situated at Aberkenfig, near Bridgend, Glamorgan. This drift mine began producing coal around 1864. During 1889, it was taken over by North's Navigation Co. In the early 1890s, a workforce of less than 200 men and boys was producing approximately 300 tons of coal a day from two faces working the Cribbwr seam. On 26th August 1892, 112 miners lost their lives in a major accident, commemorated by a monument at the site and 112 trees planted to the west of Fountain Pond. The Park Slip Colliery Explosion Relief Fund raised money and provided relief to the victims and their relatives. The area was dug for open-cast coal extraction between the 1960s and the 1980s before restoration by British Coal Opencast South Wales Region, with advice from the Glamorgan Wildlife Trust, as a landscape suitable for wildlife, farming and informal recreation. In 1999 the site was formally given to the Trust on behalf of British Coal.
Scope and content/abstract: Records of Park Slip Colliery, 1893-[c. 1950], including Park Slip Fund minutes books, 1893-1942, 1942-1947; Park Slip Fund cash book, 1893-1950; Monmouthshire and South Wales Miners' Permanent Provident Society; Park Slip Colliery Explosion, relief books, 1912-1928, 1913-1933; Park Slip Explosion Relief Fund; statements of accounts, 1921-1944; Park Slip Colliery Explosion Relief Fund; notices of statutory annual and half-yearly meetings of the executive committee and statements of accounts, 1909, 1931-1944 [with gaps], 1948; and accounts of relief disbursed, including receipts, correspondence, etc., 1934, 1938-1948. This collection also contains the Imperial Navigation Coal Company Ltd., minutes book, 1900-1920.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged according to year and type.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions. All records are held in an outside repository and have to be ordered at least one week before any intended visit.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply.
Physical characteristics: Good to fair condition
Finding aids: A handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the National Coal Board on 5 October 1966 (accession numbers 2135 and 2136).
Related material: Related units of description held at the Glamorgan Record Office: records of the National Coal Board (reference DNCB)
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hayden Burns and amended for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Glamorgan Record Office, catalogue of records for the National Coal Board; Owen, David, South Wales Colleries, vol 3., (Gloucestershire, 2002). Welsh Coal Mines website (www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/index.html). viewed 24/02/2004.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2004. Amended July 2004