Reference code(s): GB 0214 DXT
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cwm Saerbren, Ystradyfodwg deeds
Short Title: Cwm Saerbren, Ystradyfodwg deeds
Creation date(s): 1756-1866
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.02 cubic metres (5 parchments, 51 papers, 4 files, 2 plans)
Name of creator(s): William Davies, Cwm Saerbren
Administrative/Biographical history: William Davies purchased Cwm Saerbren Farm, Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan, in c. 1775. In 1845, the Marquis of Bute acquired Cwm Saerbren farm and its mineral rights from William Davies, and it became the site of the Bute Merthyr Associated Colliery, Treherbert, from which the first consignment of steam coal from the Rhondda was sent to Cardiff Docks in 1855.
Scope and content/abstract: Leases, rent receipts and miscellaneous papers, mainly relating to property in Ystradyfodwg and Llanwonno (Llanwynno), Glamorgan, 1756-1866.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply.
Finding aids: A handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual, May 1961.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources were used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Watson, Richard, Rhondda Coal, Cardiff Gold: The Insoles of Llandaff Coal Owners and Shippers (Cardiff 1997); Welsh Coal Mines website (www.welshcoalmines.co.uk) Viewed 20 July 2004.
Rules or conventions: Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD (G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: July 2004