Reference code(s): GB 0214 DXFP
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Groes-wen Independent Chapel records
Short Title: Groes-wen Congregational Church records
Creation date(s): 1793-1952
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.04 cubic metres (5 volumes, 1 booklet)
Name of creator(s): Groes-wen (Eglwysilan) Congregational Chapel
Administrative/Biographical history: Groes-wen Independent Chapel lies in Groes-wen, Eglywsilan, Glamorgan. The original building on the site was erected in 1742 during the Methodist Revival. Named the New House, it was the first chapel to be specifically built by the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. In 1752, the congregation severed its connection with Wesleyan Methodism and the Church of England, by embracing the Independent denomination with the Rev. William Edwards, the renowned bridge-builder, as joint minister. The building was extended in 1766 and 1831, and the vestry was built in 1866 as a venue for the first British School in the district.
Scope and content/abstract: Register of members of Groes-wen chapel, 1793-1826; register of baptisms, 1798-1849; list of members 1816-1838; register of members, 1908-1916; report, 1915; account book, 1922-1942; and register of baptisms, 1942-1952.
Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the Catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been accepted and listed.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual, 1957-1978
Related material: DX477/2; DECONGMARR.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources have been used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Heritage Guides website http://www.heritage-guides.com viewed 20/8/04; Hanes Ymdaith Cynnulleidfaoliaeth (Cardiff, 1904); and Groeswen, 1742-1992. A history of Groeswen chapel, Eglwysilan
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: August 2004