Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWESB
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Penarth and Barry/Cowbridge and St Athan Wesleyan Circuit records
Short Title: Penarth and Barry/Cowbridge and St Athan Wesleyan Circuit records
Creation date(s): 1847-1991
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.6 cubic metres (5 boxes, 141 volumes, 35 booklets, 62 papers, 1 bundle, 1 plan, 2 files, 37 photographs)
Name of creator(s): Penarth and Barry Methodist Circuit
Administrative/Biographical history: The Penarth circuit was formed in 1891 from the Cardiff circuit and became the Penarth and Barry circuit in 1933.The Cowbridge circuit was formed from the Bridgend circuit, and in 1962 the churches of Llantwit Major and St Athan were absorbed into the Barry circuit. The Barry circuit was created in 1955 from the Penarth and Barry circuit. The Barry Methodist Church, Porthkerry Road was opened in 1889. Albert Road Methodist Church, Penarth was built in 1907 to replace the Arcot Street Chapel that was destroyed by fire. The Holton Road Methodist Church was opened in 1911. The Barry Island Wesleyan Methodist Church was opened in 1902.
Scope and content/abstract: Penarth and Barry circuit local preachers meeting, minutes books, 1893-1954; Methodist Church Record, 1916-1945; Barry circuit quarterly meeting, minutes books, 1955-1972; Cowbridge circuit baptismal registers, 1849-1962; Cowbridge circuit quarterly meeting minutes book, 1919-1962; Cowbridge circuit account books, 1929-1962; records relating to the Barry Methodist Church, Porthkerry Road including minutes books, 1889-1987; accounts; 1889-1976; miscellaneous records, 1889-1990; photographs, 1889-1989; records relating to St David's Methodist Church, Colcot including minutes books, 1937-1976; accounts, 1940-1952; records relating to St John's Methodist Church, Barry Island including minutes books, 1904-1962; account books, 1903-1972; Sunday school records, c1900-1926; records relating to Holton Road Methodist Church, Barry Dock including minutes, 1900-1962; accounts, 1921-1963; records relating to Crossway Methodist Church, Barry including minutes, 1890-1967; records relating to Cadoxton Methodist Church, Barry including minutes, 1891-1976; accounts, 1927-1958; records relating to Llantwit Major Methodist Church including minutes, 1936-1976; accounts, 1847-1975; St Athan Methodist Church trustees meeting minutes book, 1947-1976; records relating to Cowbridge Methodist Church including minutes, 1895-1962; Rhoose Methodist Church trustees' meeting minutes books, 1943-1966; Albert Road Methodist Churches minutes, 1963-2000, and miscellaneous records, 1905-2000
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Glamorgan Archives policy. Some material is restricted for 30 years - contact the Duty Archivist
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by Penarth Methodist Circuit, Barry Methodist Circuit and private individual
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources were used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Tom Clemett's History of Barry website (www.barrywales.co.uk) viewed 15 June 2005. Amended by A Thynne for Glamorgan Archives.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: June 2005, amended June 2012