Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWESRH
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Rhondda Valley English Methodist Circuit records
Short Title: Rhondda Valley English Methodist Circuit records
Creation date(s): 1891-1994
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.5 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Rhondda Valley English Methodist Circuit; Tabernacle Methodist Chapel, Ystrad Rhondda; Llwynypia Primitive Methodist Church; Calfaria Chapel, Treorchy; Saron Chapel, Treherbert; Caersalem Chapel, Ton Pentre; Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Treorchy; Brithweunydd Methodist Church Mission; Tylorstown Wesleyan Methodist Church; Tonypandy Mission
Administrative/Biographical history: Wesleyan Methodists began making in-roads in south Wales during the mid-eighteenth century, and a Glamorganshire Circuit was established in 1765. In 1796 the circuit was divided into two smaller units, Swansea serving the west, and Cardiff the east. In 1817 Cardiff was divided into English and Welsh circuits, and in 1848 Bridgend split from Cardiff, forming its own circuit. This division was the catalyst for missionary work in the south Wales valleys. A Mr Charles Bassett was sent to Pontypridd, where he provided a room for the Methodists of the town and of Trefforest, who were at the time worshipping in a farmhouse. The congregation quickly built their own chapel, and others followed, at Porth; Pandy; Pentre; Heol-fach; Ferndale; Williamstown; Treorchy; Llantrisant and Hafod. In 1862 a Pontypridd Circuit emerged as a separate entity from the Cardiff Circuit, and in 1886 it split once more, producing two daughter circuits, Ferndale and Rhondda. Since 1978, all Methodist circuits in the Rhondda have been overseen by the Mid-Glamorgan Mission.
Scope and content/abstract: Records relating to Tabernacle Methodist Chapel, Ystrad Rhondda including treasurer's book, 1963-1979; minutes book, 1965-1977; trustees' accounts book, 1964-1981; records relating to Llwynypia Primitive Methodist Church including accounts, 1912-1935; minutes book, 1909-1932; record relating to Calfaria Chapel, Treorchy including accounts book, 1971-1981, register of baptisms, 1931-1977 (includes entries for Saron Chapel, Treherbert and Caersalem Chapel, Ton Pentre); records relating to Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Treorchy including Sunday school register and accounts book, 1891-1912; leader's meeting minutes book, 1952-1975; Brithweunydd Methodist Church Mission trustees treasurer's account book, 1949-1970; Tylorstown Wesleyan Methodist Church trustees' accounts book, 1924-1943; Ferndale Circuit register of baptisms, 1895-1953; records relating to Tonypandy Mission including correspondence, 1960-1970; superintendants mission reports, 1963-1968; circuit youth reports, 1963-1965; district synod returns, 1959-1971; home mission finance returns, 1960-1967; Church trust schedules, 1961-1965; annual statements of accounts, 1962-1970; miscellaneous papers, 1897-1981
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual, 1979-1986
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: June 2005