Reference code(s): GB 0214 DWESRV
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Rhymney Valley Wesleyan Circuit records
Short Title: Rhymney Valley Wesleyan Circuit records
Creation date(s): 1861-1981
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.05 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Rhymney Valley Wesleyan Circuit; Aberbargoed Wesleyan Methodist Church; Abertysswg Methodist Church; Bargoed Central Hall Methodist Church; Deri Wesleyan Methodist Church; Gelligaer Methodist Chapel, Brithdir; Maesycwmmer Methodist Church; Mount Zion Methodist Church; Phillip's Town Methodist Church; South Street Methodist Church; Tiryberth Methodist Church; Zion Methodist Church
Administrative/Biographical history: The first Wesleyan Methodist churches appeared at Caerphilly before 1833 and about the middle of the 19th century at Tredegar, Rhymney, Pontlottyn and Sirhowy, and expanded through its provision of services for English immigrant workers and their families. Welsh and English causes tended to separate and only about twelve churches had opened in the valley before 1900. Circuits were re-arranged following the union of the Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodists; later changes amalgamated circuits which had been previously been roughly divided by the county boundary between Glamorgan and Monmouthshire.
Scope and content/abstract: Circuit records including minutes, 1942-1978; circuit plans, 1970-1973; accounts, 1944-1973; circuit record book, 1962-1978; correspondence and miscellaneous papers, 1951-1970; records relating to Aberbargoed Methodist Church including correspondence, 1959-1980; baptism register, 1905-1978; minutes, 1914-1978; records relating to Bargoed Central Hall including minutes, 1958-1976; accounts, 1953-1970; records relating to South Street Methodist Church, Bargoed including baptism register, 1931-1964; deeds, 1877-1957; minutes, 1928-1966; accounts, 1918-1972; correspondence, c1905-1974; records relating to Maesycwmmer Methodist Church including registers, 1948-1970; trustees' minute book, 1915-1920; collection journals, 1945-1971; miscellaneous papers, 1908-1974; records relating to Zion Methodist Church, New Tredegar including minutes, 1897-1915; records relating to Phillipstown Methodist Church including minutes, 1952-1963; accounts, 1949-1965; baptism registers, 1927-1959; records relating to Mount Zion Methodist Church, Pontlottyn including baptism registers, 1936-1971; deeds, 1894-1970; minutes, 1949-1974; records relating to Abertysswg Methodist Church including baptism register, 1935-1976; minutes, 1936-1981; records relating to Gelligaer Methodist Chapel, Brithdir accounts book, 1903-1944; collection journals, 1939-1963; minutes, 1894-1954; records relating to Tyr-y-Berth Methodist Church baptism register, 1944-1978; accounts, 1973-1979; records relating to Deri Wesleyan Methodist Church, Bargoed including baptism register, 1928-1972; minutes, 1920-1979; collection journal, 1954-1956
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by a private individual, 1979-1997
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: June 2005