Reference code(s): GB 0214 DHGL
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum/Glamorgan County Mental Hospital/Glanrhyd Hospital records
Short Title: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum/Glamorgan County Mental Hospital/Glanrhyd Hospital records
Creation date(s): 1864-2008
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 3.48 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum; Glamorgan County Mental Hospital; Glanrhyd Hospital
Administrative/Biographical history: Before the 19th century, care of the mentally ill was mainly provided in the home, but from the 1840s, the Glamorgan Quarter Sessions paid for certain patients to be accommodated at Vernon House Asylum, Briton Ferry. The Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum at Angelton, Bridgend, did not open until November 1864. The asylum was managed by a committee of visitors appointed by the Quarter Sessions. Accommodation for 350 patients was initially provided at Angelton, but it soon became apparent that this was inadequate to meet the demands made upon it. In 1887 a new building was erected at Parc Gwyllt, Bridgend. Responsibility for the administration of these two institutions was inherited by the new Glamorgan County Council in 1889 and the name later changed to the Glamorgan County Mental Hospital. A further hospital was opened in 1934, named Penyfai, which dealt with admissions. In July 1948, the hospital became part of the National Health Service. The three buildings were called Morgannwg Hospital, with Angelton being renamed as Glanrhyd Hospital (the name it still retains), and Parc Gwyllt abbreviated to Parc Hospital. The Morgannwg Hospital Management committee was appointed by the Welsh Hospital Board to oversee the running of the hospital. Recent events have led to the closure and demolition of Parc Hospital and later Penyfai Hospital. The only remaining building is Glanrhyd Hospital, which was the original asylum built in 1864. It is currently administered by the Bridgend and District NHS Trust.
Scope and content/abstract: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Glamorgan County Mental Hospital and Glanrhyd Hospital records including administrative records, 1864-1990; patient records, 1864-2008; other medical records, 1864-1991
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals maybe restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Glamorgan Record Office policy.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A detailed catalogue is available at Glamorgan Archives
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by the Bridgend and District NHS Trust, 1995
Related material: Other records in the Glamorgan Record Office include Morgannwg Hospital, Bridgend, records: GB 0214 DHMOR; Glamorgan Quarter Sessions County Asylum, at Angelton and Parc Gwyllt: Q/L/G; United Counties Asylum records: Q/L/U.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: July 2005