Reference code(s): GB 0214 P77
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Betws Civil Parish Records
Short Title: Betws civil parish records
Creation date(s): 1709-1923
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.025 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Betws Parish; Betws Parish Council
Administrative/Biographical history: Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894. The civil parishes took over some responsibilities previously administered by the (ecclesiastical) parish vestry. In 1974, parish councils in Wales became known as community councils or town councils and existing boundaries were altered.
Scope and content/abstract: Records relating to Betws parish, Glamorgan, including warrant to petty constables for collection of county rate, 1727; parish accounts book, 1709-1795; correspondence concerning Church of England school trust deed, 1913; copy of tithe plan, 1843; tithe apportionment, 1843; tithe redemption certificate, 1923.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Archives from various sources, [1950s-1987]
Existence and location of originals: The diocesan copy of the tithe plan is deposited with the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Archives finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: July 2005