ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Hensol Hospital Records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 DHHE

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Hensol Hospital Records

Short Title: Hensol Hospital Records

Creation date(s): 1930-1988

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.03 cubic metres (1 Box)

Name of creator(s): Hensol Hospital


Administrative/Biographical history: In 1914 Glamorgan County Council became responsible under the Mental Deficiency Act 1913 for care of the mentally defective and appointed Dr Edward Lewis as its first Medical Officer under the Act. The first institution Drymma Hall, Neath, was acquired by the Committee for the Mentally Defective from the Glamorgan Joint Poor Law Committee but this was insufficient to cater for the needs of the mentally defective and the committee was forced to rely on a number of institutions in the county. In addition, the committee acquired responsibility under the Local Government Act 1929 for the guardianship of mental defectives in receipt of relief from the Public Assistance Committee. Hensol Castle estate was purchased in 1925 and opened in 1930 as a `colony' for the care of 100 male patients and additional buildings completed in 1935 enabled the raising of numbers to 460 male, female and child patients. Plans to expand the population to 2,000 had to be put aside until after World War II and had to be limited to nearly 800 patients but the hospital also had responsibility for many patients released on licence. Responsibility for general health care passed to the Welsh Hospital Board under the National Health Service Act 1948 and Glamorgan County Council was charged with the implementation and management of a community-based mental health service. The gradual acquisition and expansion of the service was matched by a sharp increase in the number of in-patients in hospital and training centres and out-patients during the 1950s and 1960s. The hospital is now a conference centre.


Scope and content/abstract: Records of Hensol Hospital comprising register of transfers discharges and deaths, 1939-1949; register of mechanical restraint and seclusion, 1939-1946; Hensol Castle insurance stamp account, 1930-1939; block plan of proposed colony at Hensol Castle, c1935; general rules for the management of Hensol Castle certified institution, 1933; annual report, 1933; miscellaneous papers, records and publications, 1930-1988.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged by deposit

Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals are restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and Glamorgan Archives policy

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the Catalogue can be searched online at


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted with the exception of the register for Llwyn Eryr Training Home, Pentre-poeth, Morriston, 1938-1948 which has been transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Awaiting further information


Related material: Related units at the Glamorgan Archives include financial records of Hensol castle and Drymma Hall hospitals 1931-1944: GB 0214 GD/T/MD.


Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Archives finding aids.

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: September 2005


Personal names

Corporate names


List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details