Reference code(s): GB 0214 DAN
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Anonymous Deposits collection
Short Title: Anonymous Deposits collection
Creation date(s): 1402-1922
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.24 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Glamorgan Archives
Administrative/Biographical history: The Anonymous Deposits collection refers to a quantity of deeds, plans, tithes, orders and papers that were found in the strongrooms in County Hall in 1939. They have been split up into a series from 1-19, some of which have since been transferred to West Glamorgan Archives Service.
Scope and content/abstract: Anonymous Deposits collection comprising of DAN1 - deeds of property, mainly in Llysworney, Llantwit Major and Llandow, of the Vales, Raglan and Powell families, 1878-1928; DAN4 - manor of Ogmore, 1402; DAN6 - mortgage, 1815, of property in Llandyfodwg; DAN7 - Coytrahen Estate tithe and agreement, 1896-1903; DAN8 - timber merchant, order to pay legacy, 1859; DAN9 - deeds relating to farms in Welsh St. Donats, Ystradowen and Llanblethian, 1734-1922; DAN10 - deed of transfer of shares relating to Glamorgan Canal, 1798; DAN11 - memo and report relating to Taff Vale Railway and Glamorgan Canal, 1836-1843; DAN12 - records relating to Monmouthshire, 1853-1888; underlease of two cottages in Merthyr Tydfil, 1788; DAN14 - Plan of Cardiff Docks, 1852; DAN15 - Plan of Traherne tombs in St. Hilary church, post 1860; DAN17 - miscellaneous letter, c1920;
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Anonymous Deposits collection arranged in record series by deposit
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of the Glamorgan Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not possible
Archival history: These deeds were found in the strongrooms in Glamorgan County Hall in 1939. They are presumed to have been left by Sir Thomas Mansel Franklen, Clerk of the Peace and of the County Council, 1878-1928.
Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred to Glamorgan Record Office from Glamorgan County Council, Cardiff between 1953 and 1956.
Related material: DAN nos.2, 3, 5, 18 and 19 have been transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service, see also (Clemenstone Collection) held at the Glamorgan Archives.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Archives finding aids
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidlines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2006. Amended February 2007.