Reference code(s): GB 0214 ESEC65
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: City of Cardiff High School for Boys records
Short Title: City of Cardiff High School for Boys records
Creation date(s): 1905-1971
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (3 boxes, 13 volumes)
Name of creator(s): City of Cardiff High School for Boys
Administrative/Biographical history: The school was opened in September 1898 in Newport Road, Cardiff, under the terms of the Welsh Intermediate Education Act 1889, hence its initial name of the Cardiff Intermediate School for Boys, which was changed in 1911 to City of Cardiff High school for Boys. From 1905 Secondary school education in Cardiff was largely provided through a system of Municipal Secondary Schools (Howard Gardens established in 1898, Canton from 1907 and Cathays) organised under the Education Act 1902 band High Schools (Cardiff High School for girls opened in 1895 and Cardiff High School for Boys) but both high schools suffered in comparison with the municipal secondary schools because of their entrance examinations and particularly their fees, which had been abolished in the municipal secondary schools in 1924. Many working class children were deterred by these restrictions, only partly made up by scholarships and bursaries, and by the Grammar School regime and curriculum. Cardiff High Boys school also suffered acute problems with its constricted site on Newport Road. The intention was to build a new school on a new site acquired in 1901 on the corner of Corbett Road and Park Place, but the school eventually stayed on its original site, with a new school opened in 1910 and further extensions in 1931-32. Both high schools were amalgamated in 1970 with Ty Celyn Secondary school in Llandennis Road, cardiff. The Newport Road Site was eventually sold to fund an extension to Willows High School in Tremorfa, Cardiff.
Scope and content/abstract: City of Cardiff High School for Boys records comprising of admissions registers, 1905-1981, register of entrants, 1932-1942; minute book, 1931-1953; petty cash book, 1911-1955; pupils' record cards (alphabetical), c1953-1965
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: City of Cardiff High School for Boys records arranged chronologically by record series
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named Individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Record Office policy
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record conditions apply
Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition:
Related material: See also DX255/1/1-20 (School magazines, 1950-1971); ESEC66 (City of Cardiff High School for Girls records)
Publication note: Catherine Carr, The Spinning Wheel: City of Cardiff High School for Girls 1895-1955, (Cardiff, 1955); Walter King, Towards the Light: The Story of Cardiff High School for Boys 1898-1970, (Llanharan 1992).
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Catherine Carr, The Spinning Wheel: City of Cardiff High School for Girls 1895-1955, (Cardiff, 1955); Walter King, Towards the Light: The Story of Cardiff High School for Boys 1898-1970, (Llanharan 1992).
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: January 2006