Reference code(s): GB 0214 EM
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Mid Glamorgan Division Elementary/Primary schools records
Short Title: Mid Glamorgan Division Elementary/Primary schools records
Creation date(s): 19th century-20th century
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: (959 photographs, 10 charts, 39 papers, 32 files, 67 booklets, 2 plans, 213 volumes, 1 stamp and various papers)
Name of creator(s): Mid Glamorgan Divisional Education Committee; Aber (Craigrhiwglyn) school; Abergarw Nursery Brynmenyn; Aberkefig and Pandy Infants; Bettws National school; Blackmill school; Blaen-garw school; Blaenllynfi (Caerau) school; Braichycymer (Bettws Pontycymer) school; Olbcastle school Bridgend; Bridgend County Boys school; St. Brides��TM Minor National school Bryncethin; Brynmenyn school; Bryntirion school; Caerau school; Cefn-Cribwr; Handicraft Centre; Coety Higher; Cornelly South school; Cornelly Infants school; Coychurch Lower school; Cwmfelin (Maesteg) school; Ewenny school; Fronwen school; Garth British school; Glynogwr Board school; Heol-y-cyw Coychurch Higher) school; Kenfig Hill school; Laleston school; Llangynwyd school; Lluest school; Llynderw Infants; Maetseg Central school; Maesteg Juvenile Unemployment Centre; Merthyr Colliery school; Maesteg Pupil Teachers��TM Centre; Merthyr Mawr National school; Nantyffyllon school; Nant-y-moel (Ogmore and Gawr) school; Newton Nottage national school; Pencoed school; Pen-y-fai school; Plasnewydd school; Pontycymer Ffaldau Colliery school; Pontyrhydycyff school; Pontyrhyl; Pontyrhyl Evening Continuation; Porthcawl National; (Pyle and kenfig Hill) Bryndu Colliery; St. Brides��TM Major National school; Ton-du Ironworks school; Ty-derwen school; Ty-meinor; Ty-newydd; Tyn-yr-heol school; Wick and Monknash National/Church in Wales school; Wyndham (Nant-y-meol) school; Ysgol Gymraeg (Nantyffyllon) school; Llywnderw Infants
Administrative/Biographical history: The records of individual schools at Primary/Elementary level relates to the period which encompasses the establishment of school boards and subsequent evolutions in the development of a national education system at a local level. Before school boards were set up, all schools in receipt of a state grant were obliged to keep log books under the 1862 Revised Code of Regulations. Following the Education Act 1870, School Boards were established to provide education in areas where no such provision existed. The School Boards were elected bodies, empowered to levy rates and to set up and maintain schools in areas where voluntary provision was inadequate. Therefore, some of the individual schools mentioned here may have also been board schools at some point over the period. After the Education Act 1902, the School Boards passed their responsibility for elementary education on to the local education authorities within county councils and county boroughs.
Scope and content/abstract: Mid Glamorgan Division Elementary/Primary schools records including log books and admission registers relating to Aber (Craigrhiwglyn) school, 1891-1963; Abergarw Nursery Brynmenyn, 1947-1965; Aberkefig and Pandy Infants, 1913-1964; Bettws National school, 1901-1922; Blackmill school, 1908-1940; Blaen-garw schools, 1886-1958; Blaenllynfi (Caerau) school, 1903-1960; Braichycymer (Bettws Pontycymer) school, 1903-1963; Oldcastle school Bridgend, 1863-1982; Pen-y-bont school, 1877-1967; Bridgend County Boys school, 1896-1924; St. Brides��TM Minor National school Bryncethin, 1870-1945; Brynmenyn school, 1909-1973; Bryntirion school, 1944-1987; Caerau schools, 1901-2001; Cefn-Cribwr, 1902-1937; Handicraft Centre, 1937-1938; Coety Higher, 1877-1965; Cornelly South school, 1873-1901; Cornelly Infants school, 1955-1979; Coychurch Lower school, 1873-1915; Cwmfelin (Maesteg) school, 1911-1922; Ewenny school, 1872-1961; Fronwen school, 1913-1947; Garth British school, 1868-1897; Glynogwr Board school, 1879-1988; Heol-y-cyw Coychurch Higher) school, 1880-1969; Kenfig Hill school, 1911-1943; Laleston school, 1874-1905; Lluest school, 1911-1963; Llynderw schools, 1900-1985; Maesteg Central school, 1897-1911; Maesteg Juvenile Unemployment Centre, 1928-1940; Merthyr Colliery school, 1877-1904; Maesteg Pupil Teachers��TM Centre, 1901-1911; Merthyr Mawr National school, 1904-1926; Nantyffyllon school, 1896-1990; Nant-y-moel (Ogmore and Gawr) schools, 1884-1966; Newton Nottage National school, 1874-1973; Plasnewydd schools, 1892-1997; Pontycymer Ffaldau Colliery school, 1881-1946; Pontyrhydycyff school, 1893-1946; Pontyrhyl, 1884-1957; Pontyrhyl Evening Continuation, 1894-1901; Porthcawl National, 1873-1893; (Pyle and kenfig Hill) Bryndu Colliery, 1863-1950; St. Brides��TM Major National school, 1863-1891; Ton-du Ironworks school, 1863-1888; Ty-derwen school, 1909-1959; Ty-newydd school, 1871-1962; Tyn-yr-heol school, 1900-1933; Wick and Monknash National/Church in Wales school, 1872-1967; Wyndham (Nant-y-meol) school, 1887-1947; Ysgol Gymraeg (Nantyffyllon), 1949-1979;
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Mid Glamorgan Division Elementary/Primary schools records arranged chronologically by record series
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named Individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Glamorgan Archives policy
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Archival history: All of the records for Elementary/Primary schools in Mid Glamorgan division have been held and deposited by the individual schools themselves via Mid Glamorgan divisional education committee.
Immediate source of acquisition: Mid Glamorgan Divisonal Education Committee
Related material: See also ESEC (Intermediate/Secondary school records); ESB (School Board records); D102 (Ty-Derwen records)
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006