ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Aberaman Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P134CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Aberaman Ecclesiastical Parish Records

Short Title: Aberaman Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1882-1955

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): St. Margarets Church, Aberaman; St. Peters Church, Capcoch; Abercwmboi Mission; St. Barnabas Church, Aberaman

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Aberaman was created as a parish in 1883 out of the ancient parish of Aberdare. The church of St. Margaret was erected in 1883 at the expense of a mine owner, Sir George Elliot Bart, and dedicated to the memory of his wife Lady Margaret Elliot. St. Barnabas, an iron church, was erected in 1897 as a chapel-of-ease. Abercwmboi (formerly Cap Coch) was a conventional district and its church dedicated to St. Peter.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Aberaman ecclesiastical parish records including registers of marriage, 1887-1955; baptisms, 1882-1949; banns of marriage, 1893-1952; services, 1927-1935; miscellaneous records, 20th century; relating to Churches of St Margaret, St. Barnabas and Abercwmboi mission in the parish of Aberaman

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Aberaman Ecclessiastical Parish records are arranged numerically under title of register and date which record was accessioned

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the imcumbents of the parish, 1997

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of registers for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office

Related material: See also Bishops Transcripts of parish for 1900, held at the national library of Wales, Aberystwyth; P137CW (Abercwmboi, St. Peter ecclesiastical parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Cofestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk; www.maggieandjo.org/history

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details