ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Merthyr Tydfil Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P4CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Merthyr Tydfil Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Merthyr Tydfil Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1704-1948

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (21 volumes, 1 bundle, 1 photograph, 1 booklet, and 3 papers)

Name of creator(s): St. Tydfil's Church, Merthyr Tydfil; St. David's Church, Merthyr Tydfil

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Merthyr Tydfil parish is an ancient parish situated in the north east corner of the county. The original parish church was dedicated to St. Tydfil, with the church of St. David being erected in 1847 as a chapel-of-ease. St. David's church replaced St. Tydfil's as the parish church when it closed in 1968.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Merthyr Tydfil Ecclesiastical Parish records including facsimiles of parish registers, 1704-1873; papers relating to church affairs, 1920-1948; accounts, 1921-1965; churchyard schedule, 1911; photograph, 1928; personal papers of the Reverend Charles Edward Thomas Griffith, 1885-1900; miscellaneous records, 1874

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Merthyr Tydfil Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged under item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbents, 1974-2001

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Registers of baptisms, marriages, (banns) and burials for St. Tydfil's and St. David's churches are held at the national Library of Wales, Aberystwyth

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles or Microfiche copies of parish registers from both churches are open for public use at the Glamorgan Archives, and are also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service and the Society of Geneaologists

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Parish registers for Baptisms/Christenings in St. David's church were recorded separately from 1944 and include entries for St. Tydfil's Well

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details