ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Flemingston Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P10CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Flemingston Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Flemingston Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1726-1992

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.06 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): St. Michael's Church, Flemingston

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Flemingston is a small ancient parish in the diocese of Llandaff. It is siutated in the Vale of Glamorgan near to the ancient parishes of Cowbridge and Llanblethian in the eastern division of the rural deanery of Groneath Lower. The parish church is dedicated to St. Michael and was restored in 1858. The church also houses the Norman tomb of Dame Joan Fleming and a monument to Edward Williams, who is also known as Iolo Morgannwg, a famous Welsh antiquary.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Flemingston Ecclesiastical Parish records including facsimile register of baptism, marriage and burial, 1575-1725; registers of baptisms, 1726-1991; marriages, 1757-1968; burials, 1813-1992; confirmations, 1960-1983; churchwardens records, 1813-1957; miscellaneous papers, 1902-1966; accounts, 1861-1927

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Flemingston Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1978-1997

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Original parish registers of baptisms, 1576-1725, marriage, 1587-1725, burial c1570-1725 held at the Natrional Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; All other originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office;

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the GLamorgan Record Office; Microfiche copies of parish registers, 1576-1725 held by West Glamorgan Archive service and Society of Geneaologists;

Related material: See also P10 (Flemingston Civil Parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1721, 1724-39, 1741-51, 1753-9, 1761-1814, 1816-17, 1819-29, 1831-54, 1856, 1858-63, 1865-70 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. Copy Microfiche Index to Bishop's transcripts held by National Library of Wales Aberystwyth, West Glamorgan Archive Service and Society of Geneaologists

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details