ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Llancarfan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P36CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Llancarfan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Llancarfan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1618-1970

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (14 volumes, 9 papers)

Name of creator(s): St. Cadoc's Church, Llancarfan

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Llancarfan is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Barry in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated approximately 5 miles South-East of Cowbridge in the hundred of Dinas Powys. The parish also encloses the ancient parish and village of Llanvithyn. The church is dedicated to St. Cattwg, also known as St. Cadoc.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Llancarfan Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1618-1763; baptisms and burials, 1775-1810; baptisms, 1813-1889; marriage, 1788-1970; burials, 1813-1976; banns, 1828-1920; marriage licence, 1961; certificates, 1828-1901; service registers, 1914-1946

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Llancarfan Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged under item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1979

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers for public use at the Glamorgan Archives; Copy microfiche index of parish registers and Bishops transcripts held at the national Library of Wales, Aberystwyth and Society of Geneaologists

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1696, 1724-6, 1728-35, 1737-1867, 1870-2 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details