ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Margam Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P83CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Margam Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Margam Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1672-1838

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (21 volumes and 3 papers)

Name of creator(s): Abbey Church of St. Mary; Port Talbot Chapel of Ease

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Margam is an ancient parish within the eastern division of the rural deanery of Upper Groneath in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated four miles South East of Aberavon in the Vale of Neath. It is noteworthy for once being the site of a Cisterian monastery founded by Robert de Gloucester in 1147. Its abbey/parish church is dedicated to St. Mary, and there is also a chapel of ease situated in the town of Port Talbot.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Margam Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1672-1951; marriages, 1672-1837; burials, 1672-1953; banns, 1754-1795; miscellaneous and civil records, 1775-1855; for abbey church of St. Mary and chapel of ease, Port Talbot

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Margam Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbents, 1985

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals are held at the Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers are available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives; Facsimiles also available at West Glamorgan Archive Service

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1721, 1723-88 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops treanscripts held at the Glamorgan Archives

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details