Reference code(s): GB 0214 P61CW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Aberdare Ecclesiastical Parish records
Short Title: Aberdare Ecclesiastical Parish records
Creation date(s): 1734-1946
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.24 cubic metres (1 shelf)
Name of creator(s): Aberdare Ecclesiastical Parish; St John's Church, Aberdare; St. Elvan's Church, Aberdare
Administrative/Biographical history: Aberdare is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Aberdare in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated 4 miles south of Merthyr Tydfil and includes the towns of Aberdare, Cwmdare, Cwmbach and Trecynon. The original parish church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and has been in existance for approximatley 800 years. It was reopened following repairs in 1876. Aberdare parish also has a daughter church, opened in 1852 and dedicated to St. Elvan. St. Mairs church was opened in 1864 to serve the Welsh speaking population of Aberdare.
Scope and content/abstract: Aberdare Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers for churches of St John and St Elvan of baptisms, 1734-1910; marriages, 1769-1937; burials, 1734-1946; records relating to: churchwardens, 1900-1939; property, 1869-1939; endowments and finance, 1894-1915; correspondence, 1881-1940; St Elvans church, 1862-1936; miscellaneous, 1854-1935; St Johns church, 1864-1938; St John the Evangelist, Robertstown, 1886-1912; St Mary Magdalene, Cwmbach, 1906-1914; St Marys Welsh Church, Maesydref, 1894-1936; St Matthews Mission Church, Abernant, 1885-1900; church affairs, 1901-1940; church organisations, 1892-1935; charities, 1884-1928; education, 1895-1920;
Language/scripts of material: English and Welsh
System of arrangement: Aberdare Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbents, 1947-1985
Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives.
Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
Related material: See also P61 (Aberdare Civil Parish records)
Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1717, 1724-1863, 1900-1904 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Michrofiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Archives.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk; webapps.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006