ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P70CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1668-1969

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Briton Ferry is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Upper Groncath in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated in the hundred of Neath on the north-east side of Swansea Bay on the coast of the Bristol channel. Originally, its parish church was dedicated to St. Mary, until St. Clements church replaced it in 1866.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptism, 1668-1969; marriages, 1668-1944; burials, 1686-1924; banns, 1867-1965; services, 1905-1972; marriage licences, 1927-1944; correspondence, 1945-1946; churchwardens records, 1903-1961; parochial church council minute book, 1920-1925

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Briton Ferry Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Depoisted by the incumbent, 1979

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Related material: See also P70 (Briton Ferry Civil Parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1696, 1721, 1723-1818, 1820-67 held at the Ational Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details