ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P77CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1722-1963

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.12 cubic metres (1/2 shelf)

Name of creator(s): Bettws Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Bettws is an ancient parish within the rural district of Upper Groneath in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated between the Ogmore and Llynvi rivers approximately 5 miles north of Bridgend. Its parish church is dedicated to St. David and was enlarged in 1863 to accommodate 248 seats.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1722-1939; marriages, 1722-1963; burials, 1723-1950; banns, 1823-1908; services, 1878-1920; terriers, 1771-1906; civil and miscellaneous records, 1846-1926; churchwardens records, 1832-1940; parochial church council and easter vestry, 1921-1941; church organ isations, 1934-1937; charities, 1887-1939

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Bettws Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catallogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1987

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives and National Library of Wales combined

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1721, 1723-45, 1747-1821, 1823-66, 1868, 1870-6 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details