Reference code(s): GB 0214 P92CW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Ewenny Ecclesiastical Parish records
Short Title: Ewenny Ecclesiastical Parish records
Creation date(s): 1714-1992
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Ewenny Ecclesiastical Parish
Administrative/Biographical history: Ewenny is an ancient parish within the western division of the rural deanery of Lower Groneath in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated on the Ewenny River on the southern edge of Bridgend town in the Vale of Glamorgan and was formerly a detached part of St. BrideāTMs Major parish. Its parish church is Ewenny Priory church, a fortified Benedictine foundation dedicated to St. Michael which dates from the 12th century.
Scope and content/abstract: Ewenny Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1714-1992; marriages, 1755-1970; burials, 1714-1942; churchwardens accounts, 1800-1876; civil records, 1858-1920; Priory of Ewenny a short history of the church, being part of an unidentified book.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Ewenny Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1977-2000
Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office
Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Related material: See also P92 (Ewenny Civil Parish records)
Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1721, 1723-1817, 1819-1867, 1870-98 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk; www.ewenny.org.uk
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006