ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P122CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1669-1985

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.24 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: St. John parish is one of the oldest parishes in Cardiff. In the 12th century the church served as a chapel of ease to the Benedictine priory dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Due to its prime position in the centre of the town, St. John's church grew became a parish church in its own right during the Reformation. When floods damaged St. Mary's church in the 17th century, the two parishes operated from the same church, and were eventually merged in 1808. However, following the donation by Lord Bute of a new site for St. Mary's in Butetown, the parishes were again separated in 1846.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1669-1921; marriages, 1669-1903; burials, 1669-1911; records relating to: churchwardens, 1766-1963; civil and miscellaneous, 1766-1936; church affairs, 1904-1983

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1967-1991

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Related material: See also P133CW (Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records); P122 (Cardiff, St. John Civil Parish Records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1717, 1724-1914, 1916 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details