ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P133CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1843-1993

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.22 cubic metres (42 volumes, 11 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The first parish church of Cardiff, which was dedicated to St. Mary, was founded by Robert Fitzhammon and situated on the banks of the river Taff in the late 11th century. In 1180 the parish was placed in the pastoral care of Benedictine monks from Tewksbury Abbey in Gloucestershire and the church was ranked as a priory until 1254. When St. Mary's church was badly damaged by floods in 1607, the parish was attached to St. John in the centre of the town, until its re-establishment as a separate parish in 1849 after a new site in Bute Street for St. Mary's Church was donated by Lord Bute.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1843-1993; marriages, 1855-1971; banns, 1902-1910; burials, 1848-1918; services, 1884-1922; miscellaneous and civil records, 1903-1914

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Cardiff, St. Mary Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged chronologically by record series

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1967-2004

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Related material: See also P122CW (Cardiff, St. John Ecclesiastical Parish records); P133 (Cardiff, St. Mary Civil Parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1843-77 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk; www.cardiffcentralparish.org

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details