ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P87CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1695-1970

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres (17 volumes, 114 papers, 3 files, 14 bundles, 8 booklets, 6 plans, 3 parchments, and 39 photocopies)

Name of creator(s): Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Pyle and Kenfig is an ancient parish situated north of Porthcawl in the hundred of Newcastle. Originally, the parish church, which was built in the mid-12th century and dedicated to St. James the Apostle, was situated in the medieval borough of Kenfig. However, Maudlam church, a chapel of ease, was built on higher ground in Kenfig around 1255 and dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, apparently to serve the needs to the people who were trying to escape the effects of the encroaching sand dunes. Eventually, the site of St. James' church in Kenfig had to be abandoned and the building was demolished and much of the building material encorporated into a new church, also dedicated to St. James, in Pyle. This became the parish church in 1485, despite Maudlam church being 200 years older.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records relating to churches of St James and St Mary Magdalene icluding registers of baptisms, 1695-1920; marriages, 1695-1837; burials, 1695-1925; banns, 1824-1949; services,1905-1940; inventories, 1904-1905; records relating to: property, 1904-1950; churchwardens, 1878-1954; church affairs, 1905-1929; micellaneous and civil records, 1749-1968

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Pyle and Kenfig Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1976

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Related material: See also P87 (Pyle and Kenfig Civil Parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1696, 1721, 1723-4, 1726-47, 1749-1872 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk; www.kenfig.org

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details