ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
St Andrews Major Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P27CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: St Andrews Major Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: St Andrews Major Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1744-1980

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres (12 volumes, 2 booklets)

Name of creator(s): St. Andrew's Major Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: St. Andrew��TMs Major is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Penarth in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated south west of Cardiff in the Vale of Glamorgan and includes the villages of Dinas Powys and St. Andrew��TMs Major. It parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew and was restored in 1875. There are also chapels of ease situated at Dinas Powys and Eastbrook.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: St. Andrews Major Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1744-1931; marriages, 1749-1940; burials, 1744-1940; banns, 1824-1920; services, 1917-1930; miscellaneous records, 1980

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: St. Andrew's Major Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1974

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives.

Related material: See also P27 (St. Andrews Major Civil Parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1696, 1724-1863, 1865-6, 1869-70, 1872-3 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details