ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P49CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1776-1985

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres (12 volumes, 6 papers, and 2 plans)

Name of creator(s): Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Porthkerry is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Barry in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated south-west of Cardiff on the Coast of the Bristol Channel and is surrounded by the parish of Penmark. The church is dedicated to St. Cyrig.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1776-1969; marriages, 1754-1983; banns, 1824-1908; burials, 1776-1985; records relating to property, 1926-1931; churchwardens, 1818-1877; vestry, 1841-1885; tithe, 1844

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1981-1985

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Related material: See also P49 (Porthkerry civil parish records)

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1724-49, 1751, 1753-5, 1757-8, 1760-77, 1779-1895 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details