Reference code(s): GB 0214 P46CW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Penarth Ecclesiastical Parish records
Short Title: Penarth Ecclesiastical Parish records
Creation date(s): 1813-2010
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.5 cubic metres (119 volumes, 3 parchments, 22 papers and photocopies, 14 files, 7 plans, 5 booklets, 1 photograph, 23
Name of creator(s): Penarth Ecclesiastical Parish
Administrative/Biographical history: Penarth is an ancient parish within the rural deanery of Penarth in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated on the west side of Cardiff Bay, in the hundred of Dinas Powys. Its parish church is dedicated to St. Augustine and was built in 1865 to replace the medieval church. In 2004 the parish was joined with Llandough-juxta-Penarth to form the benefice of Penarth and Llandough.
Scope and content/abstract: Penarth Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1813-1990; marriages, 1813-1979; burials, 1813-1998; banns, 1824-1892 and 1899-1998; services, 1921-2010 with St Lawrence's 1971-1999; preachers books, 1875-192; registers of services and collections books 1921-1999 (including St Lawrence's, Lavernock, 1972-1999); registers of services and offertory for St Paul's 1911-1919, 1924-1965; announcements book 1985-1986; confirmations 1932-2002; Parochial Church Council minutes 1920-1954 and 1961-2008; vestry minutes 1822-1984; mortgage of tithe, etc 1864; conveyance of parsonage site 1902; curate's licence 1945; diocesan decree creating benefice 2004; churchwardens accounts 1894-1899; general accounts 1932-1973; finance committee minutes and financial papers 1911-2004; miscellaneous financial papers 1963-1976; register of graves 1889-1909 and index with plan 1977-2002; St Paul's receipts and expenditure1938-1964; registers of services of Holy Nativity 1926-1930, 1934-1937; records relating to church property and papers relating to structural alterations and maintenance 1905-2006; records relating to Penarth National Schools 1861-1953 including managers minutes 1903-1971; Penarth District branch of English Church Union minutes 1903-1935; Penarth and Barry Ruridecanal Conference minutes 1975-1991; Penarth Churchyard Association minutes 1898-1901; St Augustine's Church Institute management committee minutes 1920-1934 and other papers 1948-1953; miscellaneous records including photograph of altar, printed church items, and parish magazine 1900 and 1904; records relating to church fabric and faculties, upkeep of graves, institute, insurance, correspondence relating to trust deeds of National School and leases of property, etc 1913-1978; compendium of original records and photocopies relating to history of Penarth parish 1864-1971; forms of prayer at defeat of Indian Mutiny 1859; form of prayer at preservation of Duke of Edinburgh from assassination; royal proclamation exhorting conservation of food supply 1917; record of burials and cremation plots with plans, 1977-2007; Free Will Offering receipt book, 1961-1963; Conveyance of the Holy Nativity Church, 1891;PCC declaration book, 1926-2001, and attendance register, 1966-2002; renewal campaign committee minutes, 1965-1966; Elaectoral roll, 2011; report on organ, 1995; Specification for new hall, 1994. Records relating to the maintenance and refurbishment of church buildings, 1996-2005.
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Penarth Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged chronologically by record series
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Glamorgan Archvies policy.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records which meet the collection policy of Glamorgan Archives have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent,1947-2011 and parish archivist 2012 and 2013
Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives
Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
Related material: See also P46 (Penarth Civil Parish records)
Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1724-47, 1749, 1751-1813, 1815-16, 1818-30, 1832-51, 1853-88 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk. Revised by M Wilcox, L Hunt and R Morgan for Glamorgan Archives.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006, revised November 2012, March and May 2013