Reference code(s): GB 0214 P156CW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Cardiff, All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish records
Short Title: Cardiff, All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish records
Creation date(s): 1867-1965
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Cardiff, All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish
Administrative/Biographical history: Within the county of Glamorgan there are 125 original parishes, known as 'ancient' parishes. During the 19th century and early 20th century, however, a number of new parishes were established to serve the needs of the county's growing population. These are known as 'modern' parishes and are supplemental to the ancient parishes. The majority of the parishes are within the diocese of Llandaff, served by Llandaff Cathedral. There are a small number, however, on the western and eastern extremities of Glamorgan which are within the dioceses of Swansea and Brecon (established 1923) and Monmouth (established 1921). The Church of All Saints, Tyndall Street in the parish of St. Mary was opened to serve the Welsh-Speaking population of the parish. It was formed into a separate district (later parish) in 1867. In 1899 this church was closed an sold in an Act of Parliament and a new All Saints church in Adamsdown Square was consecrated in 1903. This church was closed in 1965 when the parish of All Saints was united with St. John.
Scope and content/abstract: Cardiff, All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1867-1893; marriages, 1867-1964; burials, 1867-1944; services, 1955-1965; churchwardens inventories, 1906-1940; parochial church council minutes, 1946-1951; vestry minutes, 1931-1934
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Cardiff, All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1991-1996
Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office
Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office.
Note: The parish of All Saints had no burial ground of its own. These registers record the names of parishoner of All Saints buried at Adamsdown Cemetary (known as Cardiff Old Cemetary to distinguish from the large municipal cemetary at Cathays) and Cathays Cemetary, as well as those buried in churcyards and cemetaries elsewhere. Actual burial places are noted in the margins against many of the entries.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006