ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P170CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1839-1982

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.12 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish


Administrative/Biographical history: Dowlais is a modern parish within the rural deanery of Merthyr Tydfil in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated approximately 2 miles north-east on the outskirts of Merthyr Tydfil town. It was formed in to an ecclesiastical parish from Merthyr Tydfil ancient parish in 1837. The parish church is dedicated to St. John and was restored in 1894. There was also a church dedicated to St. Michael, situated in the village of Penngarnddu and erected in 1894; a church in the village of Pant, erected 1895; a Welsh church erected in 1871 by the Dowlais Iron Co.; and St. Lukeā€TMs Mission Church in Gellifealog village, erected in 1903.


Scope and content/abstract: Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers for St. Lukes Mission Church Gellifaelog, St Michaels Mission church Pengarnddu, St Marys Welsh Church and Dowlais Welsh church of baptisms, 1839-1946; marriages, 1838-1982; burials, 1839-1920; banns, 1895-1967; services, 1914-1962; confirmations, 1921-1964; church organisations, 1894; civil and miscellaneous records, 1858-1901; parish history, 1977;


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Dowlais Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1977


Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service


Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1839-53, 1862-3 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000);

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


Personal names

Corporate names


List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details