ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P171CW

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short Title: Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish records

Creation date(s): 1871-1976

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.08 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Dyffryn is a modern parish within the rural deanery of Upper Groneath in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated 2 miles north east of Neath in the hundred of Neath. It was formed from Cadoxton-juxta-Neath and Skewen ancient parishes in 1873 and includes the hamlet of Brynoch. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, was built in 1871 and enlarged in 1884-5.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of baptisms, 1871-1965; marriages, 1874-1970; burials, 1872-1960; banns, 1875-1983; services, 1925-1962; churchwardens accounts, c1933-1976; parochial church council minutes, 1920-1955; vestry minutes, 1874-1931; church affairs, 1884-1914; quota, 1923-1947; church organisations, 1888-1914

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Dyffryn Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1988

ALLIED MATERIALS

Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Record Office. Facsimiles of parish registers also held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Bishops transcripts for the years 1909-10 held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of Bishops transcripts held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details